CQC have enhanced their KLOEs to include how technology is used to support people and enhance effective care. CQC has recognised the beneficial outcomes technology can provide, and has incorporated it into their inspection framework, which should continue to increase adoption of technology in the care sector.
New Key Lines of Enquiry
On 1st November 2017, CQC’s updated KLOEs came into effect for adult social care. Some of the KLOEs have a substantive change, and some of the KLOEs are completely new.
The framework for CQC to inspect care services is through asking five key questions:
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?
Each key question has several prompts, or key lines of enquiry, abbreviated as KLOEs. The KLOEs are designed to give inspectors a framework to help them be consistent in measuring standards of care.
Technology Focused KLOEs
Some of the changes to KLOEs relate specifically to care homes’ use of technology:
- Effective: E1.3 – How is technology and equipment used to enhance the delivery of effective care and support, and to promote people’s independence?
- Responsive: R1.6 – How is technology used to support people to receive timely care and support? Is the technology (including telephone systems, call systems and online/digital services) easy to use?
- Well-led: W4.6 – Are information technology systems used effectively to monitor and improve the quality of care?
- Safe ratings characteristics: S.2 Outstanding – The service actively seeks out new technology and other solutions to make sure that people live with as few restrictions as possible.
Mobile Evidence of Care
Mobile recording of care saves time on paperwork, enables greater person-centred care and improves the quality of care. All the new KLOS’s can be substantially met simply by implementing this technology, which has been evidenced to be improving care providers’ CQC ratings.
Explaining the New KLOEs for Care Providers
We will be continuing this series on the new KLOEs to explain how our solution helps you answer CQC’s five key questions with the updated KLOEs. Make sure you’re signed up to our mailing list to hear about them first!