Love Christmas In Your Care Home!Activities from the 1st of December, all the way up to Christmas Day ensures that your residents will love their Christmas in your care home
- Make a holiday wreath, get creative by using materials such as candy canes, paper rolls, wine corks, and clothespins. Use your imagination.
- Decorate and fill stockings with little presents. Try using felt, paint and a lot of glitter!
- Make festive baubles and decorate your Christmas tree. You could use wool, sequins or glitter to cover a plastic or paper bauble.
- Involve your residents as you decorate the home and their rooms. Give people choices of what decorations are used and where they are put. This would be a great occasion to invite family members to come and join in!
- Play some board and card games, or maybe a festive game of charades with your residents. The more the merrier!
- Ask the people you support for their favourite Christmas tunes and play them all together like a show.
- Have a Christmas sing a-long, you could even hire a pianist or a choir to perform at your care home!
- Have a ‘family film night’ and watch one of your resident’s favourite Christmas film, with popcorn, extra pillows, and lots of blankets to keep warm.
- Enjoy tea or coffee together with your residents as a group. You could even talk about what they would like to do for the rest of the countdown to Christmas and the end of the year.
- Bake some holiday cookies with your residents, like gingerbread and shortbread.
- Cook or prepare mince pies together with your residents.
- Have a gift wrap party – don’t worry if things aren’t perfectly wrapped, it’s the fun that counts!
- Give the people you support help with holiday cards – writing, addressing, or sealing envelopes.
- Make and put on a nativity scene with your residents or other carers.
- Help your residents make paper snowflakes by cutting up paper or sticking card together.
- Go on an outing with your residents around the neighbourhood or through a local park. Make sure to wrap up warm.
- Put together clips and pictures from residents’ previous holidays to make a slideshow of memories. (try using InteractiveMe)
- Make an indoor snowman by stuffing white pillowcases with scrunched up newspaper, a scarf and hat to accessorise and black/orange card to make facial features. You could read the Raymond Briggs story of the Snowman together with your residents.
- Take your residents to go watch the local panto or ask a local drama company to come and perform in your care home.
- Help your residents to choose and purchase gifts online to give to families, friends or other residents.
- Ask people (or their families) if they have any Christmas traditions that they as a family or an individual would enjoy doing in the festive season. Can you help them to carry out that tradition this year?
- Find out when your local church is holding a carol service and take some of your residents along. If this isn’t possible, ask the church if they would be able to bring a service to you.
- Host a Christmas craft day where you invite family members in to enjoy making some Christmassy goodies with their loved one.
- Spend some time asking your residents what their goals/hopes are for 2020, have them on display somewhere and then work with friends, family and colleagues to try and make those things happen.
- Relax and enjoy Christmas!